Loading...

History

History

Lamb – Basham Memorial Chapel was founded on May 7, 1891 by P. H. Lamb and George Watt. The two men opened the funeral home in a building that stood across the street from the present location. The men also operated a livery stable located on a lot adjacent to the present funeral home.

P. H. Lamb bought the interest of Mr. Watt. The business became Lamb and Son when the late J. W. Lamb joined his father, P. H. Lamb, in the business in 1909. The funeral home was moved to its present location in the early 1920s and additional /Lamb-BashamMemorial/history02.jpgrooms were built at that time. The livery business was discontinued about 1925 and the building torn down in 1927.

P. H. Lamb died in 1929. J. P. (Jack) Lamb joined his father in 1929. J. W. Lamb died in 1941, and the business was owned and operated by Mrs. J. W. (Edith) Lamb and her son Jack.

Jack Lamb was the last member of the Lamb family to operate the business. Jack sold the business to Harold Schmutzler, and he operated the funeral home for a short while. Mr. Schmutzler sold the /Lamb-BashamMemorial/history03.jpgfuneral home to Hovey Hedges, and he sold the business to Jerry Lee Basham, who has operated the funeral home as Lamb – Basham Memorial Chapel since September 23, 1981.

We are very proud of our heritage and constantly focus our energies to provide compassionate service that reflects well on that legacy.

Lamb-Basham Memorial Chapel | (812) 749-4024
226 E. Washington Street, Oakland City, IN 47660I

 

 

Proudly Serving the Following Counties:
Gibson County, IN
Pike County, IN

Proudly Serving the Following Cities:
Francisco, IN | Winslow,IN | Petersburg, IN
Mackey, IN | Somerville, IN | Elberfeld, IN | Buckskin, IN

 

© Lamb-Basham Memorial Chapel
Crafted with care by Frazer Consultants